Our Mission Statement

Corliss National School is a Catholic primary school which strives to provide a well ordered, happy and secure atmosphere where self-esteem of each child will be enhanced and the educational, spiritual and moral and cultural needs of each child identified and developed with compassion, enthusiasm and due regard for the child’s individuality. Corliss National School promotes excellence in teaching and learning.   

About Us

Together we strive:

  • to create a community for learning where students, parents and staff are joined in the pursuit of academic excellence and personal growth in a caring environment.
  • to develop each student’s full potential through a challenging and diversified curriculum and a commitment to intellectual freedom. We will teach basic skills, faster creative and critical thinking, and provide a foundation for lifelong learning.
  • to nourish our student’s emotional and spiritual lives and guide their social development, instilling in them an appreciation of self-worth of individual difference, and of global interdependence.
  • to help them to learn to manage freedom and to act ethically that each may become a responsible, contributing member of society.   

Corliss National School – A Brief History

By George Cartwright

Corr-lios, (Corlis) the ‘round hill of the fort’ is a small townland,
situated off the main Crossdoney to Killeshandra road, about half a
mile from what is known as Young’s Cross in the neighbouring
townland of Drumgoon. Corlis national school (usually spelt as
Corliss) is a small school in Corlis townland. It dates back to 1867 and
it is recognised as the oldest school building still in use as a school in
Co Cavan. There was a hedge school, run by Master Davy Phair, in
the neighbouring townland of Lahard and it is likely that the need for
a recognised school in the general area grew from numbers
attending this hedge school.
Fr John O’Reilly PP Killeshandra decided to have the school built to
cater for a growing need in the area. Griffith’s Valuation of 1857
records one landholder in the townland of Corlis. His name was
Michael (Mc) Gibney. It is likely that Michael donated a site to Fr
O’Reilly for the new school. Construction began in 1867 and it was
completed in January 1868. It lay idle until the following November
when Thomas McKeon, a teacher from Co Leitrim, was appointed.
Shortly afterwards Fr O’Reilly wrote to the Commissioners of
National Education seeking grant-aid and recognition for the new
school. Shortly afterwards an inspector visited the school and it was
subsequently formally recognised in February 1869. John Carty from
the nearby townland of Marahill was the first pupil officially enrolled
on 10 May 1869 and Mary Reilly from Drumbess was the first girl
enrolled in September 1872. In the early years the average
attendance on roll was approximately 30. Subjects taught were
arithmetic, geography, grammar, needlework, slate exercises,
reading, writing, and penmanship.

Read More

Our Staff

Ms. Quinn
Principal
Ms. Quinn
Principal
Ms. Shannon Pierson
Principal Release Teacher
Ms. Shannon Pierson
Principal Release Teacher
Ms. Tuohill
Deputy Principal
Ms. Tuohill
Deputy Principal
Ms. Claire Denning 

SET
Ms. Claire Denning
SET
Bernie Willson
Secretary
Bernie Willson
Secretary
Carmel Connolly
Cleaner
Carmel Connolly
Cleaner
Brigid Cullen
SNA
Brigid Cullen
SNA
Jim Connolly
Caretaker
Jim Connolly
Caretaker

Each person through positive learning experiences will be simulated to achieve their full potential, face life confidently, find fulfilment and be respectful in an ever-changing world.